In September 2018, the Enterprise Resource Planning software giant, SAP has launched its latest edition – SAP S/4HANA 1809. It is the 4th On-Premise release of SAP S/4HANA, after 1511,1610 and 1709. This new release too continued with the latest innovation and wanted to helps the companies, who were looking for digital transformation. By the end of SAP S/4HANA 1809, there were around 2389 innovations related to S/4HANA, 1048 user experience, and 552 innovations in digital transformation. The SAP’s next-generation digital core (SAP S/4HANA) laid the foundation for intelligent enterprise and comes with the latest invention, robust and scalable core ERP.
The SAP S/4HANA 1809 is built on 3 key ingredients, which made the digital core intelligent.
They are Digital age UX, Automation, and Next-generation processes.
*A Digital age UX: The Digital assistance provides a hands-free experience and also delivers value-adding experience by instant insight with latest SAP Fiori technology.
*Automation: This ingredient provides predictive analysis to increase efficiency and automation and the ERP is augmented by machine learning from SAP Leonardo.
*Next-generation processes: Redefine and reinvent the processes with the proven best practices built on the latest inventions.
In this blog, we will try to focus on two questions
1)How things are different in SAP S/4HANA?
2)What are the key Transaction scenarios for SAP S/4HANA 1809?
First Thing First!!
SAP S/4HANA is a new product line and not a new/successor release of SAP Business Suite ERP system. Despite few incompatible changes between SAP Business Suite ERP System and SAP S/4HANA system, the support for the SAP Business Suite & SAP ERP will still be available.
An SAP S/4HANA System is
1)Based on SAP’s innovative in-memory SAP HANA database.
2)It is built with new, simplified application architecture and data model.
3)Along with the application functionality, most of the SAP S/4HANA applications have been re-designed.
4)You can now use a new SAP Fiori based User Experience.
5)you can also choose among the two deployment models
- On-Premise Deployment Model
- Cloud Deployment Model (exist in both private & public cloud versions)
Now, let get into the primary question of our today discussion.
What are the key Transaction scenarios for SAP S/4HANA 1809?
SAP offers 3 main transaction adoption scenarios
What is the purpose to choose System Conversion?
There are 3 main purposes
- If your goal is to bring your present business processes to the new platform.
- or you want to keep your investment in custom code.
- Or you want to adopt new innovations and minimize the risk and investment of a conversion project by reducing the scope of the transition project to a pure technical conversion at a later point of time.
What is the technical view?
System Conversion approach is a reusing by in-place conversion type. Technically, System Conversion is a Software Update Manager tool based, in-place conversion of an existing SAP Business Suite ERP system to SAP S/4HANA.
- This approach facilitates migration from a classical database to SAP HANA database, if your current SAP ERP system was running on a classical database.
- It migrates your ERP data model into the SAP S/4HANA data model with all the invented data model simplifications and data volume reductions.
- It replaces the current SAP ERP application code with new SAP S/4HANA Application code.
- You can selectively migrate your classical SAP GUI UIs to Fiori App
What is New Implementation?
It is a new installation of an SAP S/4HANA system either on On-Premise or Cloud model. It is also known as “greenfield” approach.
What is the purpose to choose New implementation?
If your primary focus is re-engineering and process simplification based on latest innovations.
This approach best suited for customers planning to migrate
- A non-SAP or 3rd party legacy system.
- It is also a good option for an SAP System, which is an older release, or highly customized, or it does not match your system requirements for a technical system conversion.
Landscape Transformation: –
This scenario is a value-driven and selective data migration to the new SAP S/4HANA system. The main focus is on choosing and picking of entities which the customer wants to carve out and move on to the new S/4HANA platform, instead of migrating the entire system.
Few sub-scenarios are:
*Consolidation of several systems or selective clients of multiple systems into one global SAP S/4HANA.
*Selective data migration based on legal entities. Such as company codes.
*SAP Central Finance Scenario Implementation.
What is the purpose to choose Landscape Transactions?
If you want to consolidate your landscape or selective transform data into an SAP S/4HAN system.
*Value-based migration: Selective data transformation allows a phased approach focusing the first sap s/4hana migration phase on parts of the business with highest ROI and lowest TCI.
*Agility: Move gradually to SAP S/4HANA innovations while staying on your present business processes and move to SAP S/4HANA at your own pace.
*TCO reduction: System and landscape consolidation with simplified processes and unified master data lead to lower cost of operations.